Sunday, January 08, 2006

The man sure liked to draw himself naked

The Schiele exhibit was great.

The amount of admiration I have for his coloring and drawing technique is bordering on intense jealousy. Even what looks like charcoal and pencil croquis work are light years away in the apperance of being finished than anything I could ever "complete."

The thing I like most about seeing works in person though is definitely looking at the detail and texture of it. This is the first time I've seen Schiele's work in person. What I thought I had appreciated in his work as far as color and line work went totally flew out the window. Actually seeing charcoal/pencil/crayon drawings and the pencil/charcoal/crayon+goauche+watercolor works not only made me realize I was totally wrong about what I thought I had been looking at all this time, but now it confounds me more because I just can't see how he did it. The media blends together seamlessly.

Interesting was seeing looking for influences of Klimt. Of course it was speculation on my part, but one portrait of his sister utilized bronze and gold paint as well as Klimt-like patterns that gave it that flat look. Another sketch of a woman's head tilted back reminded me a little of Judith #1, but at a more extreme angle. There was one particular drawing of a female sitting that had an incredible pose, but it was one of many "female sitting" drawings so I don't know if I can find a print of it anywhere.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds really great, I can't wait to see it.

V

7:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home