Saturday, February 18, 2006

Cooking on the fly

I like to cook. The other day I found out that I had these leftovers lying around:
1. Ground Pork (from when I'd made Mapo Tofu)
2. A miniscule handful of panko
3. Another tiny handful of grated Romano cheese sad in the freezer

Anyhow I needed to use the ground pork. So I decided I'd make meatballs in pasta sauce. Sorry, I didn't use exact measurements, but basically I put together the ground pork with some panko and cheese, put in some minced garlic, salt, pepper, and a little Italian seasoning and made small meatballs (small because I was going to use ready-made sauce). Now, I would not recommend doing this without some sort of binder. Be it milk, cream or egg, if you want meatballs with a nice soft texture and not to fall apart don't follow my maverick example. I'm sure it depends on the meat you use too. Like I would definitely think twice about doing this with ground beef. And I'm certainly sure the meat can be any kind of ground meat you would like. Beef, turkey....lamb? (but why?)

The question of the evening is, how the hell do you properly peel a cipollini onion? I certainly don't know. Anyhow, I managed to peel and dice two cipollinis I bought earlier today (at one dollar a pound I couldn't resist). In a pot I poured some olive oil in, heated it up, and added the cipollini, then the meatballs and sauteed them a little. I wanted to get the meatballs started because as I said I'm using a premade sauce and they were still a little frozen. Then I opened up a can of Del Monte Garlic and Herb pasta sauce. Now you may yell, "Blasphemy!" but honestly, they were on sale for 99 cents a while back, on top of that it's quick, and if you're using good enough ingredients you can make anything taste real good.

But back to the sauce. After pouring that in, I put a little water in the can. This was so I could a)get the leftover sauce clinging to the can and b)I wanted a little more moisture since I wanted to make sure I wanted these meatballs cooked through.

Anyhow, that's all I wanted to share.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home