Monday, August 06, 2007

Random rant against modern society because I take a random overheard comment seriously

"...and she stabbed me with a spork!!" a girl in the group sitting next to me on the 1 train exclaimed.

"Spork? Wait, what the hell were you doing with a spork?" one of the guys asked.

"She always has one," the girl answered for her friend.

"Yea, I mean, you know, I just keep it around just in case," the spork-shanker answered.

...why...I mean...I guess...but...OK, unless you're like a Boyscout or something, I really don't see why carrying a spork around "just in case" is necessary or a thought to even cross your mind.

I mean, I keep eating utensils in my desk, but I always thought this was particular to my work place where food miraculously materializes for everyone to eat.

Now I'm just going off of a random anecdotal incident here, and it's not like I've done some extensive study or something, so I don't know if it's particular to women because they have purses or something or if this is some greater sociological thing that needs to be studied, who knows, maybe this person's just weird and anal about being prepared for EVERYTHING, but...well, let me put on my Lewis Black/Carrie Bradshaw hat on (meaning, vitriolic disbelief couched in a cutesy rhetorical question format):

IS FOOD SO RIDICULOUSLY AVAILABLE IN MODERN AMERICAN SOCIETY THAT SOME OF US WALK AROUND PREPARED WITH THE IDEA THAT FOOD WILL JUST SHOW UP AT SOME POINT IN THE DAY AND WE NEED TO BE PREPARED TO EAT IT???

Jesus Christ almighty! I don't know, that's just unebelievable to me. It has never crossed my mind to think, "OK. Lip balm, my compact, maybe a book in case I'm stuck on the train for a while...oh yea, a spoon just in case someone starts handing out souffles." WHAT THE FUCK, PEOPLE?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home