Monday, December 31, 2007

My favorite commercial

It's been my favorite for a while, but I just caught on TV again so here goes. I'm talking about the McDonald's ad that's featuring the apple dippers as a healthy Happy Meal choice. Sounds boring? It's not boring when you realize some genius at McDonald's decided to use the Cha Cha Slide as inspiration. I mean, you totally get why they'd do it. First off, it's simply a fun way to portray eating the apple dippers...but with minimal effort. The Cha Cha Slide already exists, really all you needed to do was come up with some apple dipping to fit the song and you're set to go. There's nothing else in that ad. No dialogue, just really simple choreography. No crazy effects, just a simple dining room in a house. AND it appeals to parents who know what the hell the Cha Cha Slide is, making an instant memorable impression on the person responsible for taking their kids to McDonald's. And even if the adult doesn't recognize what the ad is referencing, it's still simply a cute ad. Fucking genius. Also, I must say that I have a weak spot for little kids dancing. Especially when they're dressed in old school b-boy gear. Here's the ad as how you see it on tv.



Another thing I love about the ad is the dad's reaction. He's all "That's right, get on with your bad self" and just goes along with it. I don't know why I love that so much, but it adds a little something. So I went on YouTube to see if anyone had uploaded it just because I wanted to see the dad's expression...and I found the long version!



Here's the original for comparison.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home