Wednesday, February 03, 2010

So i've been thinking about this for a while, tell me if I'm crazy

So for the longest time, I've wanted to do regular theme days. And by theme I mean pick a fashion theme and dress like that for a day and just hang out with people. Go to the movies, grab lunch/dinner, visit galleries or museums, what have you. Just operate a whole day dressed for the fashion theme.

"So why don't you just do that yourself?" you may ask. I mean I could, and why not, but I feel like it'd be more fun to do it with other people. I mean can you imagine walking down the street with a roving band of people looking like they straight up walked out of a Visage or Human League music video on 80s day?



Like I'd even get real specific too. Like just because I said 80s day don't mean you just show up in whatever ironic shit you pulled out of your closet. Like it can't be one dude in a Members Only jacket and pegged jeans or a girl in stirrup pants and a chick "Flashdance" sweatshirt. Whether New Wave or New Romantic, you can't be raggedy. And by raggedy I don't mean it can't be torn or tattered, I mean in the sense that it should not be half-assed and on point to a certain degree.

The idea isn't to pressure someone to spend ridiculous amounts of money or looking for perfect recreation. The idea is sort of an almost dandy-ish celebration of being able to simply be well put together. Thought out interpretations and creative license done well are all welcome and should be celebrated.

It'd be reminiscent of the Weekly Jams I used to participate in when I contributed regularly to this drawing forum. Everyone can suggest ideas, draw it out of a hat or take turns, I don't know, and no pressure to participate either. Just let everyone know if you're showing up and stick to it so that you don't have just one person showing up. And if you can't get at least three people to gather, maybe rollover the idea to the next month.

I don't know how far I'd go with this. I'd love to see if it'd be possible to get away with the theme of "Incroyables and Merveilleuses." Nonetheless, the idea isn't costume pageantry, it's fashion, style and flair. Like I'm not trying to start up a cosplay group or something like that. I'm not going to tell people, "OK, dudes. This month we're gonna all dress up as a character from Mad Men," but I might say, "All right. 50s-60s guys." It's not about being someone else, but ourselves, just in different social settings based on time, subgroups, scenes, what have you.

Ugh, this would be SO awesome if it could be done. I'm even willing to try it under a time limit, to see if it can be done. Maybe do it for 1-3 months and more like once or twice a months and see how far it can go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home